House Swaps

House Swap

House swaps using websites like LoveHomeSwap are a fantastic way to take a holiday and see the world, without paying for accommodation.

Similarly, many people do other swaps and letting like foreign exchanges and hosting students or academics.

Whilst these activities allow a cost effective way to travel and learn, no matter how diligent you are, there will be times when accidents happen. Even careful guests can cause damage. Our policies cover you when their actions cost you money and provide reassurance to guests too.

Why do you need House Swap Insurance?

  • Standard Home Insurance does not allow commercial activities to take place at your home and usually just covers your family living at your property. House Swaps and Exchanges are usually considered commercial activities and are Guests which extend beyond your family.
  • So, letting House Swap and Exchange Guests stay at your property could invalidate your whole Home Insurance in the event of a claim, which means that even claims unrelated to the Swap may not be paid out.
  • Most sharing platforms do not provide any protection for hosts. Whilst LoveHomeSwap does provide a measure of protection, there are some significant limitations to these protections. Find out more

Our House Swap Insurance Covers

Sleep as easy as your Guests with our cover!

Key cover sections

Legal liability
Legal Expenses

Additional covers

Damage caused by fire
Replacement keys and locks
Damage caused by explosion
Damage caused by emergency services
Damage caused by an escape of water or oil
Alternative Accommodation
Accidental damage to property
Malicious damage to property
Investigations with HMRC
Theft of property
Eviction of Guests
Public liability

Before you get covered...

You need to contact your existing Home Insurance company to let them know you intend to House Swap/ Exchange and you will cover this under another policy of insurance.

Your insurer should be happy to continue to insure the property for standard household claims, this is generally what your insurer means when they say you are covered. However, some Insurance providers may not be as familiar with this activity so we have developed some tips on what to say.

Inlet are working with Insurers and Shared Economy UK , a CBI managed industry body to promote clarity on how short-term hosting is handled. It will take some time to reach all companies and for processes to be clarified and updated.